0573 - Channing School
HTS were commissioned by Channing School in 2010 to raise the quality of the existing sports and performing arts facilities. The scheme involved the demolition of the existing “New Hall” building enabling the construction of a new sports hall, sixth form centre and performing arts building.
- The sports hall is a double pitched form with no central support, achieved by four trusses spanning the 34m length of the building. Macalloy ties act to resist spreading
- Close co-ordination with the architect allowed the structure to be exposed throughout both buildings
- Careful sequencing and logistics were required as works were completed on a busy school site
- The roof was modelled and monitored at various stages of construction and pre-set to ensure all the tie rods are level
- The lower floors of the sixth-floor centre are exposed fair faced concrete slabs with integrated lighting creating clean ceiling soffits, and increasing the floor to ceiling heights and thermal mass to aid the buildings natural ventilation system
Client: Channing SchoolArchitect: Buckley Gray Yeoman