2014 - Yarnwicke
City of London
Sherborne House is an existing six storey building located on Cannon Street in the City of London. The project has created an additional 4,500 sq ft of office space through the removal of the existing top floor mansard and the construction of a new two storey extension. Modifications to the existing core have created a more open and modern floor plate.
- New hybrid steel and CLT roof extension to recreate the geometry of the existing mansard
- Omission of the central line of columns at the new extension to maximise the available area and create an impressive open floor space
- The existing foundations were located directly adjacent to the London Underground District Line. Lightweight structure was used to minimise the load increase and close co-ordination with TfL was maintained to ensure no impact on the tunnels.
- Roof extension structure design removed wet trades and allowed for the entire two-storey structure to be installed in two weekends.
- Use of exposed structure and minimal ceilings allowed floor to ceiling heights to be maximised whilst keeping to strict Planning height
- requirements. Construction progressed while the lower floors of the office remained in use throughout the works.
Client: Riverside CAPITALArchitect: Barr Gazetas