1388 - Winchester University West Downs
A £40m new landmark building at West Downs Campus for the University of Winchester. The project consists of three interconnecting buildings housing; five levels of teaching space, double height galleries, a library and a restaurant and 250 seat auditorium.
- The three buildings are interconnected across a site-wide basement, with a total area of 80,000sq ft. Foundations are RC pad footings into chalk.
- The main teaching block is an exposed RC flat slab on a 9m by 9m grid. Various transfers mean that the 72m long teaching block only has two internal columns at ground floor.
- The feature roof of the library is created using steel trusses to create a 30m wide 60m long column free first floor.
- A large soakaway beneath the landscaped courtyard attenuates surface water, before draining into the underlying chalk, providing a low-impact SUDS solution.
- A BREEAM excellent project.
Client: University of WinchesterArchitect: Design Engine Architects