1090 - Wenlock Works
Wenlock Works is a redevelopment of an existing 1980s printing press to provide 150,000 sq ft of high-quality office and retail space. Retaining the building’s industrial identity, the project features exposed RC slabs and supporting steelwork with new factory-style windows at every level. The existing structure has been carefully redesigned and enlarged with additional floors added and cores relocated to create modern and flexible working space in the heart of Shoreditch.
- Existing frame and piled foundation justified to carry two additional floors of office accommodation and plant.
- Existing 5th floor slab retained and strengthened with carbon fibre to carry offset loads of new floors.
- The upper storeys utilise composite beams with lightweight concrete slabs, partially hidden behind a plasterboard ceiling, and with integrated service runs.
- Cores retained and modified creating considerable costs savings over full demolition
- The entrances to the building will be altered to provide level access from street level, with the addition of a single main entrance with projecting concrete canopy in the centre of the building
Client: Schroder UK Property FundArchitect: Buckley Gray Yeoman