1947 - Metropolis
London Borough of Westminster
Refurbishment and extension of an existing Richard Seifert Building, originally the HQ for Woolworths next to the Landmark Hotel on Marylebone Road.
- Proposal increase the existing floor area by ~50%.
- The project extends into the existing car park with a terraced ‘wedding cake’ extension and add stories to the rear blocks.
- Tight head heights in the existing building has required a thin structural zone to the extension, utilising new RC flat slabs to their maximum.
- Reducing weight on exiting foundations and keeping a large column grid drives a steel framed to the additional stories, with lightweight cross laminated slabs between.
- A new basement plant room is planed below the existing car park free-ing up roof area for high quality office space
Client: Henderson Park/ General Projects