1166 - Cromwell Place
Kensington and Chelsea
Cromwell Place in South Kensington comprises five Grade II Listed Victorian terraces. Previously in use as office space, the existing buildings are being sensitively refurbished and transformed into shared, interconnected exhibition space.
- Demolition of the unlisted rear garden properties to make way for a new contemporary and bespoke art pavilion
- The pavilion is formed of a simple structural grid, comprising a carefully detailed lightweight steel frame, intricately clad, to form a bespoke profile over an open plan ground floor gallery area.
- Beneath the pavilion a double level basement is formed in reinforced concrete using contiguous piled walls to limit movement to the listed buildings.
- Existing closet wings to the rear of 2 and 4 Cromwell Place provide new circulation routes outside of the main building envelope with glazed link bridges connecting the closet wings and providing views down onto the sculptural shape of the gallery roof.
Client: South Kensington Estates LtdArchitect: Buckley Gray Yeoman