1441 - The Import Building, East India Dock
The Import Building is the first phase in the Republic Masterplan, providing a new destination workplace. Import refurbishes and extends an existing ten-storey office building using an engineered timber structure. Light-weight construction techniques maximise the potential of the existing structure and foundations while the exposed CLT and glulam elements create warm and tactile office environments.
- An existing 1990s RC framed office building in East India Dock.
- The Import Building was extended in part with a steel frame and metal deck construction and a dramatic atrium was created using glulam and CLT
- The atrium structure fixes back to the existing RC slabs and the glulam columns sit on the existing ground floor which is strengthened with steel beams at high level in the existing basement
- Extensive archive investigations were undertaken to understand the load bearing capacity of the existing structure. As a result, no additional work to the foundations was required
- Timber elements were prefabricated and installed quickly and efficiently on site
See The Export Building and East India Dock Public Realm for phase 2 and 3 of the masterplan.
Photographs Ⓒ Galliford Try
Client: Trilogy PropertyArchitect: Studio RHE