0471 - Walmar House
This project involved the complete redevelopment of a group of existing buildings constructed in the 1900s on Regent Street, London. Some of the buildings are listed, with the final buildings housing retail units, four luxury flats and office space.
- The buildings are situated above the tunnels and escalator shafts of Oxford Circus tube station, requiring careful design of the building foundations to limit the effects of the construction on the tunnels below.
- Re-coring the buildings with an entirely new stability system, and extending into the courtyard at the rear.
- Demolition of one building behind a retained listed facade.
- Existing sixth floor removed and re-built slimmer behind the retained mansard façade, to improve floor to ceiling heights.
- Removal of loadbearing masonry walls, resupporting the existing floors on new steelwork.
Client: Great Portland EstatesArchitect: RFK Architects