0277 - Coworth Spa
Multi award-winning two-storey, timber-framed spa buried within landscape of this new estate hotel for The Dorchester Group.
- Glu-laminated timber framed superstructure, with CLT (cross-laminated timber) roof panels
- Composite LVL (laminated veneered lumber) monocoque transfer structure over the luxury underground pool, reduced the structural / excavation depth by 0.5m
- From inception, project designed, procured and constructed within eight months, of which the timber frame was completed in less than six weeks
- A new remote energy centre, including biomass boiler fuelled by willow harvested on the estate, and the largest horizontal ground source cooling system in Europe
- Structure partially buried to minimise impact within greenbelt
- The world’s first spa built using carbon-negative lime hemp walling
Awards: Winner of the Conde Nast Best Hotel Spa Award Worldwide and The European Hotel Design Award, Shortlised IStructE.
Client: The Dorchester CollectionArchitect: Purcell Architects